What fascinates me about plumbing is first, that it works. Well, most of the time. How does it know how to do that and where does it go and why don't we all get sick from it? I don't want details. I just want to live with the fascination.

But then, what also fascinates me about plumbing is how some people just go about fixing it and some people call plumbers.
I would be likely to fall into that last category, but since I had a sink with a stuck stopper, another one or two that leaked and a toilet that we still don't have right (fortunately, there are two), Rick said he'd fix it for me.
Sounds cool to me. So, off we go to Jake's Plumbing Supply.
Jake's was started in 1955, according to Kris, Jake's son and now proprietor. That's Kris with Rick -- he's a one-person shop and I'm thinking he does it pretty well.

I'm quite sure some of the stuff there has been there since 1955. And some predates that!

Want a toilet seat? Kris has 'em. 700 of them. He didn't have the 1964-era peachy brown I wanted, but he could order it. (At $55, we're going for a lesser-priced, fake-oak seat.)
Looking for a planter? Kris can fix you up! He had several similar models outside the front door. With plants.

A little office taxidermy? This bunny seemed to hold his own with a neon clock.

Why waste money on expensive signs with your hours? Frugality is smart!

And there's always a little local color. That Oldsmobile bit might go well on Ebay.

How about some parts -- some screw or washer that hasn't been made in years? Not a problem! Some of the stuff here is probably worth a small Internet fortune!

A little bit of wisdom? Just look around!

If you're in need of some fishing lures while you're looking for plumbing supplies, Kris might sell you some of his.

And it's nice to know, they follow through on their work!

I was fascinated by this place. I kept thinking "If you were a brave assemblage artist, all you'd need to do is come in here, and you'd have every supply you'd need!"
Honestly, there was so much stuff there, it made my art room look downright minimalist! While Rick talked part with Kris, I was just fascinated by everything about it!

And he knew where everything was.
The two bathroom sinks are fixed perfectly -- now we can actually use the one in the hall, and the other one doesn't leak.
The kitchen sink still seems to seep a bit. And the toilet? Well, let's just say, I don't think we've seen the last of Kris!

(I'm thinking Kris doesn't get out a lot -- when Rick spotted a picture on his wall of a whole bunch of toilets outside a building, he said "There's this movie -- I think you'd particularly enjoy a scene in it. It's called 'The Help.'" He didn't have a clue. Too bad, because he'd really get a kick out of it!)
0 Yorumlar