Header Ads Widget

Ticker

6/recent/ticker-posts

Living cheaply

 I thank my lucky stars that I have always lived frugally and now that many people are losing their jobs I thought it might be nice to share some ways to cut back.  Ilona has done a really wise and thought provoking video and if you are struggling to make ends meet then I would suggest you take a look at it  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BClG4Jfla74&feature=emb_logo

I have just put a gammon joint on to simmer but it could just as easily have been a chicken.   It weighs  750g and cost £3.50. I have added a couple of cloves, two bay leaves (from the tree in my garden) and a small onion to the cooking water. When the simmering time has finished I will bake it for twenty minutes before leaving it to cool and slicing it thinly. The cooking water will make a lovely potato and lentil soup and it will feed us for two days with some crusty bread. Half of the gammon will be used for Tony's salads and sandwiches for work. Some slices will be served as an evening meal with boiled potatoes and steamed veg. A few slices will be shredded and added to a sauce for pasta  for tomorrow and then if there is any left over it will be chucked into a pan of lentil soup.  We really don't need to eat a huge amount of meat and if things are really tough then perhaps now might be a good time to learn to cook nourishing vegetarian meals.  It's a  much cheaper way to feed a family. Meat could and probably should be kept for occasional meals. 


While the gammon is simmering it's keeping the kitchen warm so if things were really tough for me I could stay in the kitchen. I am old school and we put a jumper on when it gets cold.  We very rarely put the heating on. It drives me nuts to see people swanning about in t shirts in the middle of winter with the central heating belting out.  We feel physically sick sitting in houses that are overheated. There are so many little ways to cut back and save money.  Start today, don't wait until times are dire. 

Yorum Gönder

0 Yorumlar