As the citizens of Miller's Kill, New York head into the July 4th weekend, two gay men are severely beaten in separate incidents. Clare urges the police to notify the public; Russ feels like this could lead to copycat incidents. When another man, also homosexual, is killed, Russ must figure out if the crimes are connected. Mixed in with this are conflicts within the town over development of a luxury spa and environmental issues.
Having read the first book in this series, In the Bleak Midwinter, I wasn't sure if I was going to enjoy the 2nd book in the series as much. I was not entirely comfortable with the attraction that develops between the two major characters in the book, Clare Fergusson and police chief Russ Van Alstyne. It seemed out of character for both of them and nowhere for it to go realistically. That does continue to be an underlying theme in the books from what I have read.
If I was being picky, I would have other complaints. Clare is an intelligent person with strength of character; in view of that, some of the situations she gets herself into don't make sense. Yet, even with my reservations in that area, I found this book so compelling and involving that I could hardly put it down. I started it one evening and finished it the next day. Granted, that was on a weekend but that rarely happens to me.
Although I do not participate in organized religious activities, I do enjoy reading mysteries with a clerical theme. I like to learn about other religions (I grew up in a Methodist church in Alabama). Although the plot in A Fountain Filled with Blood does not center around the church, Clare's behavior and choices are informed by the expectations inherent in her role in the church. And I was surprised at what I learned about the Episcopal church, or at least the one in Miller's Kill, New York.
So, on many levels, I enjoyed this book and I will be reading the next one to see where Clare goes from here.
Other resources:
- Review by Maxine at Petrona
- Review by Sarah Weinman at January Magazine
- Margot's Spotlight on the first novel at Confessions of a Mystery Novelist...
- Yvette has a profile of Clare Fergusson in a post on Favorite Heroines at In So Many Words
-----------------------------
Publisher: St. Mattin's Paperbacks, 2004. Orig. pub. 2003.
Length: 371 pages
Format: Paperback
Series: Clare Fergusson / Russ Van Alstyne, #2
Setting: Upstate New York
Genre: Mystery
Source: I purchased my copy in 2006.


0 Yorumlar